How Are Food and the Environment Related?
Are we killing the environment or is it killing us? When we look at what we eat and how we grow it, we find extensive evidence for damage both to our food (from pollution and soil depletion) and to our environment (from the toxicity of growing foods industrially).
How you can feed your detoxification system
You can increase the ability of your body to convert toxins to non-toxic substances and to eliminate toxins by doing the following:
- Drink extra water.
- Consume a balanced diet of whole foods, colorful fruits and vegetables, such as broccoli, squash, blueberries, citrus, beets, dandelion greens, artichokes, pomegranate, and carrots. These foods are filled with phytonutrients and have been shown to boost detoxification.
- Eat celery-an “unassuming” but powerful detoxifying food that provides phytonutrients that benefit the liver’s ability to detoxify.
- Include the following foods containing antioxidants (vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, and selenium): beets, broccoli, asparagus, swiss chard, kale, peaches, red peppers, papayas, parsley, carrots, apricots, alfalfa, avocados, cantaloupe, and green leafy vegetables. Antioxidants are necessary for neutralizing free radicals.
- Add whole grains, such as brown rice, quinoa, and oats to aid elimination.
- Add legumes, such as black beans, white beans, chickpeas, and lentils as soluble fiber to aid in elimination.
- Increase protein intake from sources like soy, eggs, nuts, and seeds. Also choose lean grass-fed beef and free-range, natural poultry. Protein is essential to the second phase of detoxification, during which protein in the liver attaches to molecules the body is getting rid of and escorts them out of the body.
- Include adequate B-vitaminsfrom whole grains, nuts, seeds, and seafood. B-vitamins are needed for the initiation of the detoxification system.
- Include probiotics(i.e. acidophilus) to promote gut health.
Would you change your eating habits? Why/ Why not? How do you think our diet will change 10 0r 20 years from now? Why?